Recipe by: tasteofhome
You’ll be surprised at the taste of this rich and cheesy easy potato soup. It really is the best potato soup recipe, ever. I came up with it after enjoying baked potato soup at one of our favorite restaurants. I added bacon, and we think that makes it even better. —Coleen Morrissey, Sweet Valley, Pennsylvania
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally; drain drippings. Add vegetables, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Mix flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted. If desired, serve with green onions.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Before you peel potatoes, scrub them with a vegetable brush under cold water. Remove eyes or sprouts. If you have a lot of potatoes, place them in cold water after peeling to prevent discoloring.
- Peel onion; cut in half vertically. Leave root end intact. Place onion half flat side down on cutting board. Make several slices parallel to board into the onion, leaving root uncut. Then slice perpendicularly to chop the onion.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 823mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.